If you’re employed by Ealing Council, an Ealing maintained school or an employer with admitted body status, you are entitled to join the local government pension scheme.
For each £1 you pay in, your employer pays roughly £2 into your pension pot. Other benefits of the scheme include:
- A secure pension – worked out every scheme year and added to your pension account. Your pension account is revalued each year to allow for inflation and keep up with the cost of living
- Tax free cash – You have the option when you draw your pension to exchange part of it for a tax free cash lump sum
- Peace of mind – Immediate life cover and a pension for your spouse, civil partner or eligible cohabiting partner in the event of your death in service. If you ever become seriously ill and have been in the pension scheme for at least two years, you could receive immediate ill health benefits.
- Freedom to choose when to take your pension – Once you’ve been in the scheme for 2 years, you could choose to retire and draw your pension at any time between aged 55-75 (these may be reduced if paid earlier than your normal pension age, or increased if paid after)
- Flexibility to pay more or less contributions – You have the option in the LGPS to pay half your normal contributions in return for half your normal pension. This is known as the 50/50 section of the scheme and is designed to help members stay in the scheme when times are financially tough. You can also boost your pension by paying additional contributions, which you would receive tax relief on
If you are a member, you can visit the self-service members area and view details about your pension at https://axise.yourpension.org.uk/
To find out more about the LGPS, and about how to join the scheme ,you can visit the site here…